http://www.columbustexas.net/users/0001/photo/OldCourthouse.jpg

Colorado County Courthouse, Columbus, Texas [before 1909]

This classic revival building-erected in 1890-1891 in form of a Greek Cross – is now one of 28 oldest existing courthouses in Texas' 254 counties. Contractors Martin, Byrne & Johnson built the structure of brick and belton stone.

The building of the Colorado County Courthouse began with a public celebration of July 7, 1890. About 3,000 people attended a barbeque in a grove north of town. They later marched to the courthouse square in a procession led by a local marching band. Members of Caledonia Lodge No. 68 A.F. & A. M. laid the cornerstone with Masonic ceremonies. Following the ceremony the crowd gathered together for a return procession to the grove. Later that evening a Grand Ball was held at the Stafford Opera House. The new courthouse was complete in February 1891.

In 1909 a tornado severely damaged building. Large bell in cupola-clock tower fell 120 feet and was completely buried in the earth. $15 a month job of clock-winder was subsequently canceled. During repairs, present copper dome was added. In 1939 entire building was remodeled.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

powered by netStartEnterpriseTM