Mayor, City of Columbus
April 10, 1961 - April 9, 1973
George Leslie Herbert King was born in San Antonio, Texas on September 14, 1908. He moved to Columbus in 1924. After more than two decades in the gravel business, he became a partner in Spindler Concrete Pipe Company in 1947. He died on January 2, 1974.
Mr. King served on the city council from 1949 through 1951, and was elected mayor in 1961. He was sworn into office on April 10, 1961, and served until April 9, 1973. During his tenure, the sewer and drainage systems were improved, a new water well was drilled, Fannin Street was widened and many other streets paved and improved, new city warehouses were acquired, the Reginald Taylor Addition was developed, and the Ward Addition, Gegenworth and Gregory Heights Addition, St. Paul Addition, and McCormick Addition were annexed.
In addition to his work in city government, Mr. King served on the Columbus school board, as president of the Columbus Rotary Club, as patron of the Order of the Eastern Star, Chapter 324, Columbus, as grand master of Caledonia Lodge No. 68, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and as a member of the Arabia Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine for North America. He was named 1960 Man of the Year by the Columbus Chamber of Commerce.
George Leslie Herbert King
|Return to Wall of Mayors|