Henry Perry Meyer
Mayor, City of Columbus
April 8, 1957 - April 10, 1961
Henry Perry Meyer was born in Bastrop, Texas on March 12, 1914. He moved to Columbus in 1944, when he purchased the local Ford automobile dealership. He operated the dealership until 1971. In 1960, he purchased the building in which the dealership was housed, the Stafford Opera House, from Arthur William Willrodt. He sold it to the Magnolia Homes Tour, Inc. in 1972.
Mr. Meyer served on the city council from 1952 through 1954 and was elected mayor in 1957. He was sworn into office on April, 1957, and served until April 10, 1961. During his tenure, the city purchased the gas company from Texas Southern Gas, completed an addition to the city fire station and to the Mansfield Memorial Library, and built a second municipal swimming pool.
In addition to his work in city government, Mr. Meyer served as area director of the Texas Automobile Dealers Association, and as president of the Colorado County chapter of the American Red Cross, of the Rotary Club, and of the Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce Industrial Foundation, and as director and president of the Columbus Community Chest. He retained active membership in American Legion Post 383, Caledonia Lodge No. 68, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and the Arabia Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine for North America. In 1960, the Columbus Area Chamber of Commerce named him Citizen of the Year.