Enoch Edward Irwin
Mayor, City of Columbus
April 14, 1941 - April 13, 1953
Enoch Edward Irwin was born in Meadows, Idaho on February 2, 1899. He came to Columbus in 1925. Though he engaged in many ventures in his years in Columbus, his two main businesses were the Irwin Motor Company, a Chrysler and Plymouth dealership, and Citizen's Ice and Cold Storage. He died in the hospital in Columbus on March 4, 1957.
Mr. Irwin was installed as mayor on April 14, 1941, and served until April 13, 1953. During his tenure, the city acquired and developed Columbus Memorial Park, containing the municipal swimming pool and golf course, the livestock and rodeo grounds, and the high school baseball and football fields, enlarged and extended the water and sewer systems, took over operation of the Mansfield Memorial Library, paved all previously unpaved city streets, and changed from a commission to an aldermanic form of government. Also during his tenure, the city was expanded by the development of the Ben Davis Subdivisions, the Legion Addition, and the Taylor Addition, and the annexation of the E. Irwin Addition and the Youens Addition.
In addition to his work in city government, Mr. Irwin served as president of the Columbus Chamber of Commerce, the Columbus Rotary Club, and the Southwestern Ice Manufacturers Association, and was a member of the Caledonia Lodge No. 68, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Arabic Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine for North America, the Texas Good Roads Association, the South Texas Chamber of Commerce, and the Texas Independent Royalty Producers Association. He was also the first president of the Columbus Golf Club and played the first round of golf on the municipal golf course.