Mayor, City of Columbus
April 13, 1953 - April 8, 1957
William Reginald "Rip" Taylor was born in Rock Island, Texas on July 27, 1901. Inflicted with severely impaired vision, Mr. Taylor attended schools for the blind, and, in 1928, became a teacher at the West Virginia School for the Blind. With surgery and time, his vision improved markedly. In 1940, he left teaching to return to his native Colorado County, locating in Columbus and engaging in the real estate business and in the operation of rice farms in the Rock Island and Garwood areas. Later, he built a feed yard in Sealy, Texas.
Mr. Taylor was sworn in as mayor on April 13, 1953, and served until April 8, 1957. During his tenure, the city improved its water system by erecting an elevated storage tank and installing water meters, paved many previously unpaved streets, initiated and encouraged the drives to acquire the gas system, built a second swimming pool, and enlarged the library, and completed paying for the city hall building. Also during his tenure, the Butler Addition, Hodde Addition, and Krupka Addition were developed, and the Ben Davis Subdivisions, the Legion Addition, and part of the Youens Addition were annexed.
In addition to his work in city government, Mr. Taylor was a member of the Columbus Rotary Club, Caledonia Lodge No. 68, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and the Arabia Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine for North America. He also served as a member and as chairman of the State Commission for the Blind.
William Reginald "Rip" Taylor
|Return to Wall of Mayors|